I’m almost lost of words. I’m amazed — and really pleased! — at how quickly the OpenOffice.org Esperanto team are storming through the enormous translation task that we’re working on.
In the space of less than two weeks, we have translated and partially proof-read over 6,000 of the 10,000+ phrases necessary to get an Esperanto version of just the word processor (known as Writer), and work continues apace. We have also, possibly even by accident (!), translated the database part (“Base”).
When we’ve finished Writer, we’ll have two fronts to beaver away at — one for translators, one for techies.
On the translation front, there remains one huge mountain to climb — the 40,000 entries in the Help file. This will be very tedious going, but certainly an important part of the finished product.
For the techies, it’d be useful to start integrating our translation work and compiling the programs, to see what problems need ironing out there.
In summary: we ain’t there yet, but we’ve made more progress in the last two weeks than we’ve done for ages, and I’m really pleased with the whole team. Cheers guys!